Sunday, May 24, 2020

All those resources



The difficult reality is that people are judgemental of what they don't understand so I'm hoping to explain how one normal family can become homeless. . My life is difficult enough so bashing or negative comments aren't needed. I try to keep or at least attempt to keep a positive outlook on life and stay hopeful that soon things will change for the better and our lives will regain some normalcy and stability . I struggle with it sometimes especially when we're surviving day by day, hand to mouth, unsure if we will even have our basic human needs met each day additionally my increasing health issues add a sad uncertainty and fear to this difficulty coupled with the ignorance and judgment of the people within our community... some days are easier than others. I will give you the short version of my family's story. In August of 2015 I awoke to my bedroom on fire. It didn't take long for the fire to spread resulting in a total loss & taking the life of Romeo our family dog. Over the next year while grieving the loss of our dog & home, our then 4 generation family we moved four times into temporary living arrangements while rebuilding our home. The happiness of completing the rebuild & moving back home was short lived because shortly after our baby girl got really sick. I never imagined my family would ever have to choose between getting medical  care or paying our mortgage. With our savings depleted from the moves we had to make that tough choice after exhausting all other options. In Nov 2017 our lender foreclosed leaving us homeless. We were living in a shed in my friends backyard until Code Enforcement impounded our cars and forced us out into the streets. We have lived in Rancho Cordova since 1990, DON'T DRINK OR USE DRUGS and since  we owned our house over 10 years I would say we're not financially irresponsible. We have been unable to find any resources or programs to help us and do not qualify for government assistance so we're pretty much on our own. Just like a lot of you would be if faced with a financial crisis or even a temporary loss of income. There's no resources or help available and the shelter list is long. I've been on it since Nov 2017 and have been told it's likely that I'll be waiting another 1-2 yrs. We have never been in a position like this. Normally, we're the ones helping those in need whether with clothes​, food, gas/ride or a place for a family going through a temporary setback to stay to avoid a complete calapse.

Being homeless contributed to my marriage to the man I had been with for 23 yrs finally failing. We recently  separated and I plan to file for divorce soon. My family now consists of myself and my 16 year old daughter who is fighting cancer for the 2nd time. Until she got cancer again my daughter was an amazing student .. an   A/B student, had almost perfect attendance, offered free tutoring, played soccer and she was and is well mannered.  It breaks my heart and hurts my soul in a way I can't even begin to articulate that we are even in this kind of position. The truth is simple though, when faced with a financial setbacks or crisis there isn't many options or resources available so if you don't have family or a large available credit line to rescue you then you're probably going to need a tent and some thick skin...but don't worry I'm sure your neighbors won't judge you and you'll find some help from all those resources you speak of.....

 

No comments: